Kindle Once Again - this time for Walk, Hike, Saunter

Image
 Last time I did this was Dec 2017. At the moment, memory of how to do it is pretty foggy, but luckily I have my earlier blog posts on this to refresh my memory so printing them out to review. (look for Kindle label in this blog to find).  This book is a little easier than the others - text and inline photos, a table of contents, but no index. Susan has promised it will be out in two and a half weeks, so will try to do that. My immediate issue is that I remember that I have to make some changes to the Indesign file before putting out the epub file that I will update for Kindle, but don't remember quite what they were. Pausing to read my prior posts, and to review Kindle code for Healing Miles . From my 2012 notes I saw that to get reliable chapter breaks, each chapter had to be a separate xhtml file. The default of Indesign is to put out one big xhtml file, but it will break on a style, so I need to be sure the current Indesign document (for Walk, Hike, Saunter ) has an appropriat

Our hiking trips result in a huge number of digital photos - how we manage them on Windows

Our workflow on Windows 10:
  1. Capture the card data (or on smartphone, plug usb cable to computer and drag) into a folder called PhotoStaging (our computer has slots built in for the various memory cards). We put the card in the slot and get a choice of programs Canon for the Canon camera card and Nikon for the Nikon camera card.
  2. Rename every image so it starts with date - time - for example: 2007-03-07_11-19-07_1222_SD700 IS.JPG
  3. This is easier than it sounds. There is a powerful free utility called Rename Master that does it once I select all the images. It pulls the date, time, camera model out of the info stored in the image. More on RenameMaster later.
  4. Sometimes at this point when all new images are in the staging folder I will use Adobe Bridge to give multiple discriptive tags to the images.
  5. I have a master folder called Photos. In there are subfolders by subject, such as birds, mammals, East Bay Regional Parks, etc. Some of these have further subfolders. Once the images have been renamed, I either move or copy them into the appropriate folder. Sometimes they go into more than one folder. These are the original fullsized images.
  6. This does require a lot of storage. I have two external 1T hard drives. One has all my data, not just images, and the other is a backup.
Now, about the Rename Master utility. The Rename Master site There is no support or forum, but it comes with online Help that has useful examples. It can do a lot more folder manipulation, but it is so powerful that it makes me nervous, so I just use it for this one purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patagonia - Torres del Paine - Trip Planning Stream of Consciousness

Hot weather hiking affliction: Golfer's Vasculitis

Kindle Once Again - this time for Walk, Hike, Saunter