Kindle Once Again - this time for Walk, Hike, Saunter

Image
 Last time I did this was Dec 2017. At the moment, memory of how to do it is pretty foggy, but luckily I have my earlier blog posts on this to refresh my memory so printing them out to review. (look for Kindle label in this blog to find).  This book is a little easier than the others - text and inline photos, a table of contents, but no index. Susan has promised it will be out in two and a half weeks, so will try to do that. My immediate issue is that I remember that I have to make some changes to the Indesign file before putting out the epub file that I will update for Kindle, but don't remember quite what they were. Pausing to read my prior posts, and to review Kindle code for Healing Miles . From my 2012 notes I saw that to get reliable chapter breaks, each chapter had to be a separate xhtml file. The default of Indesign is to put out one big xhtml file, but it will break on a style, so I need to be sure the current Indesign document (for Walk, Hike, Saunter ) has an appropriat

Cacophony, is this an in word right now?

harsh or discordant sound : dissonance 2; specifically : harshness in the sound of words or phrases. A week or so ago I saw it used in an article, and last night, when we had dinner with my niece and her husband, I heard it spoken for the first time ever, when she was describing time with their nine year old daughter and friends.

Now I am having an absolute cacophonic experience as the old roof comes off right over my head - about three feet away to be exact. There is hammering, scraping, walking, thumping, chattering, shouting in Spanish.

 If you can imagine black snow-like material sifting down, that is what is happening in the garage, which has the old style 1x6 board roof underlayerment, with about 1/4 inch gaps between the boards, and nothing further between the roof and the garage floor.
The one little section of exposed beam ceiling in our house is right above my head - tongue and groove boards, so I didn't expect anything to come through, but right now beams of sunlight are starting to appear above my head. I didn't account for the knotholes. I stop, retrieve a couple of Tyvek groundcloth sheets and throw them over the books stacked around my office. We keep our book inventory right here, and as we sell books, I lose office walls. We have lots of Tyvek around. When we started getting serious about doing the pct, about six years ago, I wanted tyvek as a lightweight groundcloth. Couldn't find any small pieces online, so bought a huge roll at our local Home Depot. I sell some at cost to other backpackers, but it has turned out to be very handy around the house, i.e. bedsheets for grandchildren before they were housebroken, covering firewood, snowcamping snow cave roof, and so forth. Now covering books.

Anyhow, the astonishing thing is that I am pretty much not noticing all this overhead chaos. It must be like living by the subway. Some particle strikes me on the head, I notice it, they fire up some sort of saw, for a moment I hear it, but I'm focused on writing to the exclusion of anything else. This has got to be a heritage from growing up in a family with four children. Chaos is the norm, and we all have learned to cope.

I do have the feeling though, that it might be wise to shut down the computer and cover the keyboard. So doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patagonia - Torres del Paine - Trip Planning Stream of Consciousness

Hot weather hiking affliction: Golfer's Vasculitis

Kindle Once Again - this time for Walk, Hike, Saunter