Kindle Once Again - this time for Walk, Hike, Saunter

Image
 Last time I did this was Dec 2017. At the moment, memory of how to do it is pretty foggy, but luckily I have my earlier blog posts on this to refresh my memory so printing them out to review. (look for Kindle label in this blog to find).  This book is a little easier than the others - text and inline photos, a table of contents, but no index. Susan has promised it will be out in two and a half weeks, so will try to do that. My immediate issue is that I remember that I have to make some changes to the Indesign file before putting out the epub file that I will update for Kindle, but don't remember quite what they were. Pausing to read my prior posts, and to review Kindle code for Healing Miles . From my 2012 notes I saw that to get reliable chapter breaks, each chapter had to be a separate xhtml file. The default of Indesign is to put out one big xhtml file, but it will break on a style, so I need to be sure the current Indesign document (for Walk, Hike, Saunter ) has an appropriat

Backpacking Food - Crunch Time, Gotta Buy

I've been slow getting to this point, but I've got to ship our resupply boxes soon. Since they have isobutane fuel canisters, they have to go ground usps or ups, so I need to allow a couple of weeks to get to Oregon & Washington.

Picked up the freeze dried dinners at REI last night when we did a Camino de Santiago talk (see our backpack45.com camino page if that subject interests you). Today we had a long hike planned but Kaiser's dermatology had a cancelled appointment, so scheduled me at 11 to check a new black spot - turned out to be totally harmless - just a sign of aging, but that did break up the day.

So, back home for a bag lunch (had already packed it for the hike) and then review the backpack food list and off to the first stop. The Food Mill - our local bulk food store where I can pick from a dozen kinds of granola. Settled on four choices, but still know that after the trip it will be months before I can stand to eat granola again. I check my list. Now I need the rest of the stuff, bars, Milkman, PopTarts, jerky, gorp material, etc. So I head off to a large nearby Safeway for the rest. They have most of what I need.

No Milkman, but they do have Nido. However, jerky is another story. They have it, but some is moldy, some is outdated, so I don't trust the rest. Head for a big Longs Drug for Tang and jerky. Much better jerky choices, but no Tang, so I exit there for a final stop (I hope) at the Luckys near home. Yes, they have Tang --- but just the little cans and I need 44 quarts. I pull all their 8 qt cans off the shelf and check them. Five have good dates, two are expired and one is about to expire, so I take the five good ones, put the expired ones on the floor, and grab a packet of sugar loaded Koolaid, which will do for the last 4 quarts.

Now three hours after starting, I finally get home and dump all the stuff in the back bedroom. That's all I can do today. Sorting, measuring, packing, double checking the list will happen in the next few days. Almost forgot, have to put in © 2009 backpack45.com to slow the blog bandits. I don't mind if they give attribution, but there are some spammers that copy legitimate articles and highlight text so a click will go off to their spam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patagonia - Torres del Paine - Trip Planning Stream of Consciousness

Hot weather hiking affliction: Golfer's Vasculitis

Kindle Once Again - this time for Walk, Hike, Saunter