Sunday, June 24, 2007

Kindness of strangers and the evil twin


I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now, and wondering what it is about email forums that seems accentuate controversy.

My philosophy of life is to expect good intentions from any individual I meet. I rarely have been disappointed. Particularly in the community of pilgrims and of long distance hikers, we have depended greatly on the kindness of strangers.

I participate in email forums in the pilgrim and hiking community, and find them subject to waves of strident controversy. These people who are universally friendly and helpful on the trail revert to some evil twin when they are home and at the keyboard. Is there something different about people that participate in physically demanding high risk activities? Or is it that long distance hiking generates some calming sedative that pulses through our body on the trail, and the email forums are just revealing our normal nature?

No comments:

Post a Comment